Evacuation of volcano-hit Papua New Guinea island gets underway: "An urgent evacuation of around 9,000 villagers from Papua New Guinea's remote Manam Island got underway amid fears the the island's volcano was on the verge of a major eruption, officials said.
"The first batch of hundreds of islanders were taken off the island by container boat in the morning, an official coordinating the evacuation told AFP from the remote community of Bogia, where the islanders are to be taken.
"'It is on its way to Bogia,' disaster relief official John Bivi said, when asked about the boat's progress. He said the islanders were in relatively good shape despite the lack of food."
Volcanic activity interrupts work: "The Bible teaching and translation ministries of missionaries Alton and Cheryl Shady have been interrupted by a volcanic eruption.
"Residents of Manam Island have begun to evacuate after an eruption Tuesday night that threw ash up to 6 miles (10 kilometers) in the air.
"Alton and Cheryl do not see any immediate danger for their Zogari village area, but are concerned by some of the panic they see around them."
- ► 2012 (88)
- ► 2007 (63)
- ► 2006 (178)
- ► 2005 (348)
- Zooming in on Brian Williams: "Brian Williams is ...
- Rev. Billy Graham, still crusading at 86: "In a ve...
- Blowing the whistle on fraud against government yi...
- Firefighters See Shifts: "Thanks to better buildin...
- Evacuation of volcano-hit Papua New Guinea island ...
- Hong Kong's hi-tech haven: "For decades the latest...
- The Rise and Fall of the Mayan Empire: "Sever and ...
- A mover and shaker comes to the Senate: "Dr. Tom C...
- Election Day is past; Campaign 2004 is over: Pres...
- The Battle for America: "A battle for America is b...
- ▼ November (10)
You don't launch a popular blog,
you build one.
you build one.