AM radio plays vital role: "It may be the computer age, but city and county governments across the nation are turning to an old reliableAM radioto reach their residents with important messages.
"From offering warnings of emergency road closures to touting community events, low-power, government-operated radio stations are broadcasting around the clock to anyone who cares to listen.
"And, soon, some may broadcast hurricane information, if necessary.
"In Deltona, where a municipal station went on the air last fall, officials are even considering broadcasting City Commission meetings. Casselberry is just weeks away from going on the air, and Orlando soon will test a station.
"'AM radio is as old as the hills, but this is a new idea for emergency management,' said Bill Baker, president of Information Station Specialists, a Zeeland, Mich., company that builds, installs and obtains federal licensing for stations.
"The stations have been around for years, Baker said, but there has been a surge in interest during the past couple of years. He credits that to the availability of Homeland Security dollars.
"Increased interest in Florida, Baker said, is also being driven by last year's hurricanes."
- ► 2012 (88)
- ► 2007 (63)
- ► 2006 (178)
- Masters of Our Domain
- Reid mentions South Carolina senator for possible ...
- Pro-life groups switch strategy, hoping to secure ...
- It's Not the Heat, It's the Uncertainty
- Breyer casts decisive vote on religious displays
- Rove assumes more public role
- Billy Graham's last U.S. crusade
- Weary Father Left To Count the Days
- Woman kept alive in hopes of saving baby
- Medical Mistrust
- Mini-City Plan Discourages Use of Cars
- Tool to cut spending little used
- Ballgame a New Wrinkle for Metro This July 4
- WiFi now in Historic Old Town, Alexandria
- Activists Priming for Supreme Court Battle
- Senators Mentioned As Possible Justices
- First-place Nationals: happy to have a home
- Want to buy a Cave?
- RadioShack: Strong Signals Amid The Static
- House: Appointment Viewing
- Fresh faces in Congress stress cooperation
- DHS Black Helicopters at Reagan National
- Windows Command Line to be overhauled
- Katherine Harris to Run for Senate in 2006
- Senate Ends Brown Nomination Filibuster
- Stem Cell Advances May Make Moral Issue Moot
- Laptops Outsell Desktops for First Time
- NASA Naps
- Blogs Face Possible FEC Regulation
- Kim Gandy: 'We don't need two Republican parties'
- Psalm 24: "The earth is the LORD's, and everything...
- Bill Clinton on Social Security: "You and I know t...
- AM radio plays vital role: "It may be the computer...
- When it comes to technical security risks, it's am...
- Pssst, Circle R's a secret no longer: "Circle R li...
- Bill Clinton: "Most of the major errors I made in ...
- 'Charisma' lands dozens of retail distribution dea...
- Think Ahead as Hurricane Season Begins: "The 2005 ...
- ▼ June (38)
- ► 2004 (321)
You don't launch a popular blog,
you build one.
you build one.