"Democratic Party efforts to recruit anti-abortion candidates and take a more moderate position on abortion drew fire Friday from Kim Gandy, president of the National Organization for Women.
"She told activists at the Campaign for America's Future meeting that leading Democrats are trying too hard to redefine the party's stance on key issues.
"Leading Democrats, including New York Sen. Chuck Schumer, who heads Democratic efforts to win seats in the Senate, and party chairman Dean have been overly eager to recruit supportersand candidateswho don't support abortion choice, she said.
"In Pennsylvania, anti-abortion candidate Bob Casey Jr. is the front-runner among Democrats to challenge incumbent Republican Sen. Rick Santorum.
"Phil Singer, spokesman for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, rejected Gandy's criticism. 'We're focused on getting the best candidates to run in the 2006 races without any kind of litmus test,' Singer said. 'If Democrats lose seats this cycle, we'll see a fundamentally different America.'"
"Efforts by Democrats and others to blend religion and politics also drew Gandy's criticism. 'So many political leaders are trying to be Republican lite and they're being encouraged by the Democratic Party,' she said. 'Please, somebody tell them we don't need two Republican parties.'" ...
- ► 2012 (88)
- ► 2007 (63)
- ► 2006 (178)
- Masters of Our Domain
- Reid mentions South Carolina senator for possible ...
- Pro-life groups switch strategy, hoping to secure ...
- It's Not the Heat, It's the Uncertainty
- Breyer casts decisive vote on religious displays
- Rove assumes more public role
- Billy Graham's last U.S. crusade
- Weary Father Left To Count the Days
- Woman kept alive in hopes of saving baby
- Medical Mistrust
- Mini-City Plan Discourages Use of Cars
- Tool to cut spending little used
- Ballgame a New Wrinkle for Metro This July 4
- WiFi now in Historic Old Town, Alexandria
- Activists Priming for Supreme Court Battle
- Senators Mentioned As Possible Justices
- First-place Nationals: happy to have a home
- Want to buy a Cave?
- RadioShack: Strong Signals Amid The Static
- House: Appointment Viewing
- Fresh faces in Congress stress cooperation
- DHS Black Helicopters at Reagan National
- Windows Command Line to be overhauled
- Katherine Harris to Run for Senate in 2006
- Senate Ends Brown Nomination Filibuster
- Stem Cell Advances May Make Moral Issue Moot
- Laptops Outsell Desktops for First Time
- NASA Naps
- Blogs Face Possible FEC Regulation
- Kim Gandy: 'We don't need two Republican parties'
- Psalm 24: "The earth is the LORD's, and everything...
- Bill Clinton on Social Security: "You and I know t...
- AM radio plays vital role: "It may be the computer...
- When it comes to technical security risks, it's am...
- Pssst, Circle R's a secret no longer: "Circle R li...
- Bill Clinton: "Most of the major errors I made in ...
- 'Charisma' lands dozens of retail distribution dea...
- Think Ahead as Hurricane Season Begins: "The 2005 ...
- ▼ June (38)
- ► 2004 (321)
You don't launch a popular blog,
you build one.
you build one.