"If there is a Supreme Court vacancy this summer, President Bush may look no farther than the Capitol for a member of Congress who can be confirmed quickly. Past presidents have done it, more than two dozen times.
"While admittedly long shots, GOP Sens. Jon Kyl of Arizona and John Cornyn of Texas are being talked up by some conservatives as possible nominees for the high court.
"Seen as most likely to step down is Chief Justice William Rehnquist, who at 80 is fighting cancer. Retirement also might be attractive option for Justices Sandra Day O'Connor, 75, and John Paul Stevens, 85." ...
"Twenty-six men who served in Congress10 only in the Senate, 12 only in the House and four in both chamberslater joined the Supreme Court. The revolving door has turned the other way only once: David Davis resigned from the court in 1877 to represent Illinois in the Senate as an independent."
"The Senate has never rejected one of its own for the high court."
"Former Sen. John Ashcroft, R-Mo., had a hard time getting past Democratic senators to become Bush's first attorney general. The Senate voted to confirm him 58-42, the narrowest margin ever for an attorney general."
- ► 2012 (88)
- ► 2007 (63)
- ► 2006 (178)
- Masters of Our Domain
- Reid mentions South Carolina senator for possible ...
- Pro-life groups switch strategy, hoping to secure ...
- It's Not the Heat, It's the Uncertainty
- Breyer casts decisive vote on religious displays
- Rove assumes more public role
- Billy Graham's last U.S. crusade
- Weary Father Left To Count the Days
- Woman kept alive in hopes of saving baby
- Medical Mistrust
- Mini-City Plan Discourages Use of Cars
- Tool to cut spending little used
- Ballgame a New Wrinkle for Metro This July 4
- WiFi now in Historic Old Town, Alexandria
- Activists Priming for Supreme Court Battle
- Senators Mentioned As Possible Justices
- First-place Nationals: happy to have a home
- Want to buy a Cave?
- RadioShack: Strong Signals Amid The Static
- House: Appointment Viewing
- Fresh faces in Congress stress cooperation
- DHS Black Helicopters at Reagan National
- Windows Command Line to be overhauled
- Katherine Harris to Run for Senate in 2006
- Senate Ends Brown Nomination Filibuster
- Stem Cell Advances May Make Moral Issue Moot
- Laptops Outsell Desktops for First Time
- NASA Naps
- Blogs Face Possible FEC Regulation
- Kim Gandy: 'We don't need two Republican parties'
- Psalm 24: "The earth is the LORD's, and everything...
- Bill Clinton on Social Security: "You and I know t...
- AM radio plays vital role: "It may be the computer...
- When it comes to technical security risks, it's am...
- Pssst, Circle R's a secret no longer: "Circle R li...
- Bill Clinton: "Most of the major errors I made in ...
- 'Charisma' lands dozens of retail distribution dea...
- Think Ahead as Hurricane Season Begins: "The 2005 ...
- ▼ June (38)
- ► 2004 (321)
You don't launch a popular blog,
you build one.
you build one.