Think Ahead as Hurricane Season Begins: "The 2005 Atlantic hurricane season began Wednesday, and Pepco says it's not too early to prepare for the possibility of a destructive storm.
"The National Weather Service predicts an above-average storm season this year."
A thorough familiarity with useful weather links, and mobile access to them is also recommended.
In Florida, Tax-Free Hurricane Shopping Begins today: "Generators started flying off the shelves Wednesday at home improvement stores, just like they did right after Hurricane Charley last year.
"There's no storm coming, but there's also no sales tax on hurricane supplies for the next 12 days."
"Flashlights, batteries, tarps, and more are sales-tax free, but everyone has a reason why they want one of the generators. 'It was so hot. Really, really hot. I lost a lot of food,' said Orlando resident Vickie Napier.
"To give you an idea of how the first day of this tax-free sale is going, at the Ocoee Lowe's store, they sold seven generators in the first hour they were open. That's the amount they would normally sell over the entire day that the store is open.
"Sales of $700 or more were common. Tax-free days cover a wide range of hurricane supplies and customers refuse to lose out this time."
- ► 2012 (88)
- ► 2007 (63)
- ► 2006 (178)
- Masters of Our Domain
- Reid mentions South Carolina senator for possible ...
- Pro-life groups switch strategy, hoping to secure ...
- It's Not the Heat, It's the Uncertainty
- Breyer casts decisive vote on religious displays
- Rove assumes more public role
- Billy Graham's last U.S. crusade
- Weary Father Left To Count the Days
- Woman kept alive in hopes of saving baby
- Medical Mistrust
- Mini-City Plan Discourages Use of Cars
- Tool to cut spending little used
- Ballgame a New Wrinkle for Metro This July 4
- WiFi now in Historic Old Town, Alexandria
- Activists Priming for Supreme Court Battle
- Senators Mentioned As Possible Justices
- First-place Nationals: happy to have a home
- Want to buy a Cave?
- RadioShack: Strong Signals Amid The Static
- House: Appointment Viewing
- Fresh faces in Congress stress cooperation
- DHS Black Helicopters at Reagan National
- Windows Command Line to be overhauled
- Katherine Harris to Run for Senate in 2006
- Senate Ends Brown Nomination Filibuster
- Stem Cell Advances May Make Moral Issue Moot
- Laptops Outsell Desktops for First Time
- NASA Naps
- Blogs Face Possible FEC Regulation
- Kim Gandy: 'We don't need two Republican parties'
- Psalm 24: "The earth is the LORD's, and everything...
- Bill Clinton on Social Security: "You and I know t...
- AM radio plays vital role: "It may be the computer...
- When it comes to technical security risks, it's am...
- Pssst, Circle R's a secret no longer: "Circle R li...
- Bill Clinton: "Most of the major errors I made in ...
- 'Charisma' lands dozens of retail distribution dea...
- Think Ahead as Hurricane Season Begins: "The 2005 ...
- ▼ June (38)
- ► 2004 (321)
You don't launch a popular blog,
you build one.
you build one.