"Americans' love affair with movies is far from over. Yet like many relationships, it seems to be suffering from a case of familiarity breeds contempt. Summer 2005 was the worst since 1997 for movie attendance, which dropped sharply and rattled the complacency of studios.
"For the 18 weeks from early May through Labor Day, domestic movie grosses are expected to total $3.6 billion, down 9 percent from summer revenues of $3.96 billion last year, according to box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations. Attendance figures are even bleaker. Factoring in higher admission prices, the number of movie tickets sold should come in around 562.5 million, down 12 percent from summer 2004." ...
"Summer 2005 did produce its share of big hits, led by 'Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith' at almost $380 million. Films at or near the $200 million mark included 'War of the Worlds,' 'Batman Begins,' 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,' 'Wedding Crashers' and 'Madagascar.'
"There also were a few independent hits, such as the ensemble drama 'Crash' and the surprise documentary smash 'March of the Penguins.'"
"'In an ideal world, people would say "OK, we have to think more creatively, we have to think outside the box and come up with new and different things,"' said Steven Friedlander, head of distribution for Warner Independent Pictures, which released 'March of the Penguins.'
"'But I'm afraid what's going to happen is, we're all going to sit in a room and say "We need more penguin movies."'"
- ► 2012 (88)
- ► 2007 (63)
- ► 2006 (178)
- The Senate Guard: defending against fiscal attack...
- The line-item veto: real Katrina relief
- Jimmy Wales, Defender of Wikipedia
- Census Goes Local
- Venezuela: the irony of evangelical broadcasting
- The Custody of Freedom
- Wikipedia Goes Local
- Prayers, Preparations Precede DC Palau Festival
- U.S. Patent Reform Bill
- Hurricane Katrina forecasters were remarkably accu...
- Link Editor: Putting Journalism in Context
- Congress won't sacrifice pork in federal spending ...
- Telecommuting Interest Soars
- Rudy refuses to point finger
- Wikipedia Traffic Booms to New York Times Levels
- Senators Call on Congress to Make Sacrifices
- Unsettled Precedents
- Displacement of Historic Proportions
- Hollywood Uncertain After Summer Bummer
- Aerial Survey of Hurricane Katrina
- Storm Exposed Disarray at the Top
- Kanye West Uncensored
- Hurricane Survivor: 'I'll never leave Australia ag...
- The Collapse of Relief
- Venezuela Suspends Issuing of Missionary Permits F...
- The Essence of Leadership
- Live Blogging from New Orleans
- New Orleans Mayor Issues 'Desperate SOS'
- Airboats Urgently Needed In Louisiana, Mississippi...
- Would Roberts practice the restraint he preaches?
- Members of Congress Lose Homes
- Ham radio operators provide vital link
- Ham radio operators reach out and help hurricane s...
- Is Google's cafeteria a competitive weapon?
- ▼ September (34)
- ► 2004 (321)
You don't launch a popular blog,
you build one.
you build one.