"At a time when the White House is being criticized by conservatives in its own party for taking too free-spending an approach toward hurricane relief, without suggesting any 'offsets' (or cuts to balance out the spending), a pair of Republican senators will give President Bush an opening by proposing a constitutional amendment to give him line-item veto power.
"Senators George Allen, R-Va., and Jim Talent, R-Mo., will make their announcement Tuesday at 11:45 a.m. EDT.
"In late November 2004, Bush asked for line-item veto power to enable him to reject particular spending items without having to veto an entire bill. Until now, there had been no movement on this on Capitol Hill. Bush has yet to cast a veto since coming to Washington. There was some speculation that he would veto the Highway Bill because the price tag came in above his declared limit, but he signed it anyway.
"In an interview that ran in the Wall Street Journal this morning, Bush budget director Josh Bolten again refused to identify any specific budget cuts to offset hurricane relief spending." ...
- ► 2012 (88)
- ► 2007 (63)
- ► 2006 (178)
- The Senate Guard: defending against fiscal attack...
- The line-item veto: real Katrina relief
- Jimmy Wales, Defender of Wikipedia
- Census Goes Local
- Venezuela: the irony of evangelical broadcasting
- The Custody of Freedom
- Wikipedia Goes Local
- Prayers, Preparations Precede DC Palau Festival
- U.S. Patent Reform Bill
- Hurricane Katrina forecasters were remarkably accu...
- Link Editor: Putting Journalism in Context
- Congress won't sacrifice pork in federal spending ...
- Telecommuting Interest Soars
- Rudy refuses to point finger
- Wikipedia Traffic Booms to New York Times Levels
- Senators Call on Congress to Make Sacrifices
- Unsettled Precedents
- Displacement of Historic Proportions
- Hollywood Uncertain After Summer Bummer
- Aerial Survey of Hurricane Katrina
- Storm Exposed Disarray at the Top
- Kanye West Uncensored
- Hurricane Survivor: 'I'll never leave Australia ag...
- The Collapse of Relief
- Venezuela Suspends Issuing of Missionary Permits F...
- The Essence of Leadership
- Live Blogging from New Orleans
- New Orleans Mayor Issues 'Desperate SOS'
- Airboats Urgently Needed In Louisiana, Mississippi...
- Would Roberts practice the restraint he preaches?
- Members of Congress Lose Homes
- Ham radio operators provide vital link
- Ham radio operators reach out and help hurricane s...
- Is Google's cafeteria a competitive weapon?
- ▼ September (34)
- ► 2004 (321)
You don't launch a popular blog,
you build one.
you build one.