"Open source software businesses and projectslike all software companieshave been living with a sword over their heads: the sword of patents. A year ago, the Open Source Risk Management (OSRM) firm reported the existence of 283 patents that the Linux source code may potentially infringe upon. (This is not to say Linux does infringe on all 283.)
"While OSRM found that a third of those patents were held by Linux-friendly corporations like Cisco, HP, IBM, Intel, Novell, Oracle, Red Hat, and Sony, there were also at least 27 patents held by Microsoft, which has proven its willingness to patent other companies' work and pursue license fees in the recent squabble over the iPod interface.
"Defending a patent claim costs about $2 million per side, per claim." ...
- ► 2012 (88)
- ► 2007 (63)
- ► 2006 (178)
- The Senate Guard: defending against fiscal attack...
- The line-item veto: real Katrina relief
- Jimmy Wales, Defender of Wikipedia
- Census Goes Local
- Venezuela: the irony of evangelical broadcasting
- The Custody of Freedom
- Wikipedia Goes Local
- Prayers, Preparations Precede DC Palau Festival
- U.S. Patent Reform Bill
- Hurricane Katrina forecasters were remarkably accu...
- Link Editor: Putting Journalism in Context
- Congress won't sacrifice pork in federal spending ...
- Telecommuting Interest Soars
- Rudy refuses to point finger
- Wikipedia Traffic Booms to New York Times Levels
- Senators Call on Congress to Make Sacrifices
- Unsettled Precedents
- Displacement of Historic Proportions
- Hollywood Uncertain After Summer Bummer
- Aerial Survey of Hurricane Katrina
- Storm Exposed Disarray at the Top
- Kanye West Uncensored
- Hurricane Survivor: 'I'll never leave Australia ag...
- The Collapse of Relief
- Venezuela Suspends Issuing of Missionary Permits F...
- The Essence of Leadership
- Live Blogging from New Orleans
- New Orleans Mayor Issues 'Desperate SOS'
- Airboats Urgently Needed In Louisiana, Mississippi...
- Would Roberts practice the restraint he preaches?
- Members of Congress Lose Homes
- Ham radio operators provide vital link
- Ham radio operators reach out and help hurricane s...
- Is Google's cafeteria a competitive weapon?
- ▼ September (34)
- ► 2004 (321)
You don't launch a popular blog,
you build one.
you build one.