"As part of the new approach, House and Senate Democrats are devising an alternative agenda of key policies. Ryan is pushing proposals aimed at drastically reducing the number of abortions over the coming decade by offering support and services to pregnant women. Others are crafting a plan for reducing U.S. dependence on imported oil by using more domestic agricultural products, an approach that would have significant appeal to Midwestern voters.
"'We can't be Dr. No to everything Republicans do,' said Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.). 'We have to provide our own positive ideas.'
"The rise of the new breed, including Rep. Rahm Emanuel (Ill.), the chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, and Barack Obama (Ill.), the Senate's only African American and the keynote speaker at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, marks a generational divide in a party long dominated by Northeastern liberals and Southern conservatives.
"Unlike some of their forbears, the newcomers are pragmatists who view the past decade of GOP rule not as an aberration but as a sea change in political campaigning, fundraising and lobbying to which Democrats must adjust. They arrived in Washington as challengers and are comfortable questioning the establishmentbecause they have not been part of it." ...
- ► 2012 (88)
- ► 2007 (63)
- ► 2006 (178)
- Katie Wernecke gets to go home
- House Republican Study Committee reining in Leader...
- Specter praises Alito
- Harry Reid on Alito: 'we want to cooperate'
- The Nature of Rights
- Bridges to Re-election
- Bush Wants U.N. to Deal With Syria Report
- ABC News: Venezuelan Tribes Protest Chavez Expulsi...
- Trip to Louisiana an eye opener
- Katie Wernecke may never go home
- Young Democrats Sharpen Tactics Against Old Rivals...
- Venezuela Debates New Tribes Mission Expulsion Ord...
- Groups Support NTM Staying in Venezuela
- Pennsylvania Avenue Baptist Church
- Sen. Coburn: It's about principles, not power
- Senator Gregg: $850k leadership deficit
- George Allen: The Reagan of 2008
- Vonage Goes to Washington
- MA: Oppose Homosexuality = No Voting
- The Abortion Debate No One Wants to Have
- Venezuelans Criticize Missionaries' Expulsion
- NTM: we want to stay so we can help
- NTM: Our goal is to serve indigenous people
- New Tribes Mission Urges Prayer
- Plane-spotting at Gravelly Point
- New Judge for Katie Wernecke coming
- To a very special Dartmouth freshman class...
- New Tribes Mission expelled from Venezuela
- DC Public Transportation Tracking
- On the National Mall, It's a Fresh New Testament
- DC Festival: rains come down, hands go up
- Party Time on the National Mall
- Sens. Coburn & Obama: Rebuilding with accountabil...
- Buying what should be free
- Blogging Past the Censors
- Constructs of the Physical World
- ▼ October (36)
- ► 2004 (321)
You don't launch a popular blog,
you build one.
you build one.