"Juvenile Court Judge Carl Lewis resigned Tuesday from the board of directors of Texas CASA, a statewide organization that advocates on behalf of abused and neglected children in the court system.
"Lewis said he resigned from the board to avoid potential conflicts of interest. CASA volunteers regularly represent children in cases heard in Lewis' court."
"Several other judges also have resigned from the board after a ruling from the Texas Commission on Judicial Conduct found a potential conflict with judges sitting on the CASA board and dealing with cases in which the organization represented a child."
"The commission's ruling came after a complaint was filed by the Texas Center for Family Rights in 2004. The group was critical of Lewis while he was presiding over the case of Katie Wernecke, a 13-year-old cancer patient whom Lewis placed in state custody after her parents resisted medical care." ...
- ► 2012 (88)
- ► 2007 (63)
- ► 2006 (178)
- New Orleans: first public wifi city
- Edward Wernecke: Parental Rights at Risk
- Sen. Coburn supports pay-as-you-go
- Dr. Coburn denied non-profit medical practice
- It's Official: NTM has 90 days to leave Venezuela...
- Judge Alito: Massager of Precedents
- Katie Wernecke's judge had conflict of interest
- Interstate Telecommuting = Double Taxation
- The Big Jesus
- Katie Wernecke returns to Texas
- Budget/Deficit bill: Vote 'no'; no wait, vote 'ye...
- Pastor looks to disorganize religion
- Democrats: public policies rooted in faith
- A House of partisan carrots and sticks
- First Day in Supreme Court Conference
- Professor Alito: on the frontier of law
- Portable Landscaping
- Katie Wernecke on High Dose Vitamin C
- Paul Devlin's Power Trip in Texas
- VA Governor Mark Warner on the Democrats, the defi...
- VA Governor Mark Warner on life, business and poli...
- Justice Kennedy: the next swing vote
- On Alito, Women and Notice
- Katie Wernecke goes home
- Ham radio for home-schoolers
- Katie Wernecke's parents get to be parents
- Alito on abortion: pro-life 1, pro-choice 3
- ▼ November (27)
- ► 2004 (321)
You don't launch a popular blog,
you build one.
you build one.