"While the House spent last week fighting to a draw over its spending reconciliation bill, the Senate passed its version the evening of Nov. 3."
"The bill passed 52-47, after members considered 20 amendments."
"Perhaps most noteworthy, however, was a vote on an amendment that was not adopted to the billa pay-as-you-go (PAY-GO) amendment offered by Sen. Kent Conrad (D-ND), and cosponsored by Sens. Russ Feingold (D-WI) and Bill Nelson (D-FL). The PAY-GO amendment, a necessary step towards legislative fiscal responsibility, failed to pass by only one vote, with Senator Jon Corzine (D-NJ), a supporter of PAY-GO, absent from voting.
"The PAY-GO vote is significant because Republican Tom Coburn (OK) voted in favor of the amendment, shifting positions from his previous vote on this issue. If Coburn continues to vote with the handful of other fiscally responsible Republicans in the Senate, a PAY-GO amendment stands a strong chance of passing as part of next year's budget resolution.
"Such an amendment would require both new entitlement spending and any additional tax cuts to be fully offset in the budget. The inclusion of a true PAY-GO rule was instrumental in the success of the deficit reduction plan enacted in 1997 and will be crucial in forcing Congress to enact fiscally responsible budgets in the future as well." ...
- ► 2012 (88)
- ► 2007 (63)
- ► 2006 (178)
- New Orleans: first public wifi city
- Edward Wernecke: Parental Rights at Risk
- Sen. Coburn supports pay-as-you-go
- Dr. Coburn denied non-profit medical practice
- It's Official: NTM has 90 days to leave Venezuela...
- Judge Alito: Massager of Precedents
- Katie Wernecke's judge had conflict of interest
- Interstate Telecommuting = Double Taxation
- The Big Jesus
- Katie Wernecke returns to Texas
- Budget/Deficit bill: Vote 'no'; no wait, vote 'ye...
- Pastor looks to disorganize religion
- Democrats: public policies rooted in faith
- A House of partisan carrots and sticks
- First Day in Supreme Court Conference
- Professor Alito: on the frontier of law
- Portable Landscaping
- Katie Wernecke on High Dose Vitamin C
- Paul Devlin's Power Trip in Texas
- VA Governor Mark Warner on the Democrats, the defi...
- VA Governor Mark Warner on life, business and poli...
- Justice Kennedy: the next swing vote
- On Alito, Women and Notice
- Katie Wernecke goes home
- Ham radio for home-schoolers
- Katie Wernecke's parents get to be parents
- Alito on abortion: pro-life 1, pro-choice 3
- ▼ November (27)
- ► 2004 (321)
You don't launch a popular blog,
you build one.
you build one.