"As a father pities his children, so the LORD pities those who fear him" Psalm 103:13, RSV
"Whither shall I go from thy Spirit? Or whither shall I flee from they presence?" Psalm 139:7, RSV
Why We Sing, Part 2
by Reggie M. Kidd
Song shapes our love for him and makes us "there" to his "thereness." That's why he asks, "Do you love me?" ... because he delights in our pleasure in him.
Barbership quartet singers claim that when their voices blend just right, they hear a "fifth voice." That aural illusion created by harmonics is, I believe, a divine whisper of something that is absolutely true of our singing when we gather in worship.
For the Bible says that in the church Jesus is singing hymns to the Father (Hebrews 2:12) and that, in fact, he is our Worship Leader (Hebrews 8:2, literally "Liturgist").
We sing so we can sing with Jesus.
When Paul tells his churches to "let the word of Christ dwell ... richly" among them by means of "psalms, hymns and spiritual songs" (Colossians 3:16 NIV), he's inviting them to do more than use music as a "warm-up" to the sermon.
The song is not ornamentation; it is participation in the very redemption of all creation. It plays its own role in God's showcasing his saving power before humans and angels (Ephesians 3:10).
From Key Life Magazine, Summer 2006 (21.2)
- ► 2012 (88)
- ► 2007 (63)
- Rubik's Cube Challenge: 1 hand, 20 seconds (video...
- Shuttle, Earth, Moon Triangle
- Effective Youth Ministry
- The Fifth Voice
- Embody Our Love
- Card Trick Video
- Super Size Me
- The Rhythm of the Bush
- Starting over
- Search Engine Strategies
- Google Talk Usurps AOL
- This is Broken
- Weakening Political Currency
- Art in London
- London Tube Map Light Table
- 48% of Democrats support Bush candidate
- 666 miles from Washington
- Human-sized chess board
- London Airplanes, Heathrow Airport
- Hurricane-Ready Sea Surface Temperatures
- Gerald Ford: 34,000 days old today
- Ironies in sharing words
- Moon Dance
- Baby Footprint ... from inside her
- 9 months in 20 seconds
- Legalized back-alley abortions
- How much do you cost to count?
- 511: Traffic and Weather
- Coke, Soda, Pop, Sprite?
- Commuter rail coming to Central Florida
- ▼ August (31)
- ► 2005 (348)
- ► 2004 (321)
You don't launch a popular blog,
you build one.
you build one.