He was a judge in Israel who barely garners a mention in the book of Judges. Here's the whole story: "Now after Abimelech died, Tola ('Worm') the son of Puah ('Splendid'), the son of Dodo ('His Beloved'), a man of Issachar ('There is Recompense'), arose to save Israel ('God prevails'); and he lived in Shamir ('Thorn') in the hill country of Ephraim ('double ash-heap: I shall be doubly fruitful'). He judged Israel 23 years. Then he died and was buried in Shamir" (Judges 10:1-2).
The elections are in 34 days. Please pray that the people of America would elect humble leaders similarly low on drama and high on faithfulness.
My latest Legislative Update is available:
- Last week was a whirlwind of activity on Capitol Hill--probably one of the busiest and most productive in years. The Washington Post reports the House of Representatives alone passed 165 bills. The dust is still settling on all the legislation pushed through the system, and we hope to unpack some of that for you here.
Congress has officially adjourned to go home and get itself re-elected in 34 days (33 Senate races, House races) and plans a lame duck session for the week following the election, and for two weeks in December.
- Defense Authorization - Military Chaplains
- Port Security - Internet Gambling
- Border Security - Embracing America
- Child Custody Protection Act - Passage vs. Cloture
- Recent Votes
- Possible Lame Duck Session Votes